The Virginia Department of Corrections is currently looking to hire an individual to fill the statewide Veterans Advocate position. This is a wage position limited to working no more than 29 hours per week. The Veterans Advocate provides services to the incarcerated veteran population. The incumbent should have experience or background working with veterans and the criminal justice system.
Additional qualifications include:
- Extensive knowledge of federal benefits available for veterans and their family members
- Knowledge and experience working with agencies that provide assistance to incarcerated veterans such as the Veterans Administration, Virginia Department of Veteran Services, American Legion, etc.
- Willing to travel regularly to state correctional institutions to meet individually with incarcerated veterans and veterans groups inside the facilities
- Ability to cultivate positive working relationships with veterans support agencies and individuals
- Ability to maintain positive working relationships with institutional correctional professionals to ensure incarcerated veterans’ rights are protected
- Advocate for incarcerated veterans issues
The Veterans Advocate will be provided a state vehicle for travel to the state correctional institutions. Travel and lodging expenses will be covered according to state policy. All applicants are subject to a background investigation and pre-employment drug screen.
Interested parties should contact:
Dudley Bush, Administrator, Reentry, Education, & Programs Division
Office: (804) 887-8257
Please pass along to anyone that might be interested. Thanks!
Ashley Morales, M.S.
Reentry & Programs Division
Virginia Department of Corrections
6900 Atmore Drive
Richmond, VA 23225
(804) 887-7922 (Office)
(804) 513-1971 (Cell)