2022-2023 Veteran Employment & Education Committee
Chairman: Adam Martinez (180)
Members: Dennis Madtes (176), David Wallace (180)
Purpose: – To supervise and coordinate all activities of committees assigned to the Veterans Employment & Education Committee; – When necessary, to initiate action concerning all matters affecting the economic well-being of veterans and/or the re-establishment of all war veterans returning to civilian life after a period of active service in the Armed Forces of the United States; – To keep the Department Commander and the Department Executive Committee informed concerning all developments affecting the economic welfare of veterans in all areas under the jurisdiction of the Veterans Employment & Education Committee; – Such other purposes as may be assigned to it by the Department Executive Committee.
The Veterans Employment and Education Commission is striving to award all possible pending awards that are available to The American Legion. We implore all departments to continue to submit award nominations for the awards with the hope that we receive all 400 + possible nominations.
To be considered for the National Award, the deadline for submittals to the Veterans Employment and Education Commission in Washington, DC is January 15, of the following year. Example: To be nominated for the 2019 awards the nomination must be in by January 15, 2020.
That being said, all nominations must be received by Department NLT January 4th for consideration.
The National Veterans Employment and Education Commission Awards Forms:
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data – October 2017 (Veteran Employment and Education Update)
- Veteran Employment and Education Update 07112016
- Veteran Employment and Education February 2016
- Veteran Employment and Education December 2015
- Veteran Employment and Education Novemebr 2015
- Veteran Unemployment Report October2015
- Veteran UnemploymentOctober2015
Programs and Partnerships
- American Legion Veteran Services
- Virginia Values Veterans (V3)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Hiring our Heroes
- Bridge to Employment Program
- Virginia Employment Commission
Jobs & Training
The following is a list of resources designed to support employers as they incorporate veteran hiring into existing recruitment practices. Employers, both public and private, are encouraged to visit these resources to help with recruitment, hiring, retention, and ongoing support, of veterans. A number of community based organizations are also listed. These organizations provide ancillary services and welcome information from employers who are seeking to hire veterans.
National Veterans Employment & Education Awards
The National Veterans Employment & Education Commission annually presents several awards at The American Legion’s National Convention to honor employers who hire veterans, disabled veterans and older workers. Those who help veterans find employment are also recognized.
The awards include:
- Employer of the Year – Small Business, Mid-Sized Business and Large Business: employerveteranaward
- Employer of the Disabled Award Form: EmpEd-AwardtoEnhanceLivesofDisPer
- Employer of Older Workers Award: employerolderworkers
- Local Veterans Employment Representative of the Year: employmentserviceawards
- Outstanding Disabled Veteran Outreach Program Specialist of the Year: employmentserviceawards
- Outstanding Employment Service Office of the Year: employmentserviceawards
Nomination forms for each award are available through the hyperlink above. All entries must be accompanied by an official nomination form with no more than two pages of narrative, along with supporting documents. Nominations to the Department of Virginia are due no later than January 15, 2020.