2019-2020 Baseball Sub-Committee
Chairman: James Grenier (34)
Vice Chairman: Jim Glassman (24)
Tournament Asst: Doug Heptinstall (3)
Members: Kenneth Powell (325), Tommy H. Whitlow (8), Elbert Rose (320), Kirk Jeffries (310), Troy Blanchard (290), William White (39), Justin Carlisle (320)
Host needed for Department Senior Division Tournament
Department of Virginia baseball Senior Division tournament needs a host Post. The Host receives automatic bid to the tournament. The minimum bid to host a Department tournament is $3,500 for Senior.
Tentative Dates for the 2018 tournament are July 28 through July 31. The host will receive teams and provide a tournament meeting for all teams and players to sign in and be present at the banquet on July 27, Monday.
The host is responsible for housing all teams outside a 50-mile radius of the tournament playing field; furnish practice fields; qualified medical personnel; game balls; and practice fields. Keep in mind that Department baseball policy provides a fund to assist the host with paying for the team housing expense. You will be reimbursed form the amount collected in this fund in accordance with Department policy.
From the Baseball Chairman,
The 2019 baseball season seemed to end as soon as it started. The season passes quickly. But, the planning and participation of Legionnaires is year-round. We had 27 Junior teams and 35 Senior teams participate across 6 leagues. The Department of Virginia continues to field very competitive baseball teams. Many thanks to Post 16 Lynchburg for hosting the Senior tournament and to Post 290 for hosting the Junior tournament.
We continue to emphasize and demand our players and coaches display respect for the Legionnaires, their Post, their communities and their opponents, coaches, and umpires. We are looking at implementing a few strategic thrusts over the next few years:
- The six leagues will play in 3 conferences where each team will be required to play a minimum number of games to earn a path to the Department championship through participation in league and conference play.
- Seek funding sources: Tournament funding remains a weakness; our baseball program is funded from team registration fees; and our tournament expenses exceed funds available. This puts too much pressure on a single host Post to make up the difference of upwards of $6 to $16 thousand.
- Need for greater participation in teams and Posts submitting scholarship packages
- Recognition for our best players: Creation of All-Conference and All-State teams.
- Involve more Legionnaires and baseball coaches in our planning and in execution of some strategic objectives through Baseball Coach Advisory Committee and Legionnaire stakeholder participation.
- Partnership with Virginia Baseball Coaches Association, Baseball Factory, and USA Baseball