On January 16, 2015, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) sent you an email with instructions on how to securely share the health care information contained in your VA Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) with non-VA providers. Due to recent updates to VA’s eBenefits website, some users have experienced difficulty in completing the authorization to share information. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you are a Premium* eBenefits account holder, we invite you to Connect Your Docs through the VLER Health Information Exchange.
Here’s how to sign up today to begin securely sharing your health records:
- To get started, go to https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ and log in.
- Select Manage Health.
- Scroll to the Health Records row and select VA Health Record Sharing.
- Select Manage My Authorizations and Preferences and then select Start Authorization.
- Accept the terms and conditions (you must click Yes to continue), then select Save and Continue.
- Mark the box and select Sign. You will then be prompted to re-enter your username and password.
- Finally, click Reauthenticate. (This next step may take a couple of minutes to process.)
If you have technical difficulties, please call 1-800-983-0937 for assistance.
Once you have completed these steps, VA will be able to share your health data with non-VA health care providers who participate in the VLER Health Information Exchange. With your VA health data viewable to both VA and non-VA health care providers, clinicians are able to avoid unnecessary or duplicate tests and procedures. In an emergency, VLER Health Exchange provides clinicians’ access to real-time health information when and where they need it most. Also, this access reduces the need for you to request and carry paper medical records from one health care provider to another.
If you or your non-VA health care provider would like to learn more about this program, go to www.va.gov/VLER.
VLER Health National Program Office
*To learn more about Premium eBenefits accounts, go to: https://ebenefits.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1669/~/what-are-the-requirements-for-getting-a-premium-ebenefits-account%3F.